From: Krispen Hartung [mailto:info@krispenhartung.com]
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 12:46 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: 60 cycle hum in racks - stopping the insanity / share your magic

60 cycle hum....drives me insane too. I've been meaning to post something
on
this to the group, ways to eliminate it in racks.

I've tried:

- Separating power chords from audio cables
- Mounting effects with nylon washers (two), inside and outside (don't
worry
about the systems they sell for asinine prices on the web...you can do it
for a fraction of the cost by going down to a hardware store and buying
your
own nylon washers...boy, I wish I could sell 16 nylon washers online for
$5...what a mark-up)
- Installing a nice Furman power conditioner with so-called zero ground
protection, also cleaning up some of the wall warts
- Tried different outlets and circuits in the house; unplugged other
devices
in the circuit, including the computer, lights, reostats, etc
- Changing audio cables
- Running effects in series versus parallel via mixer board AUX channels
- Lifting the ground, adding back the ground
- Removing specific effects from the power and audio chain

...everything short of incantations, hexes, and attempting black magic!
:)

I discovered the wall wart power supplies have a lot to do with it...they
produce some serious electro-magnetic fields. Also, I have a Lexicon LXP5
and LXP1 that did not come with the original power supplies, so have
ordered
two more from Lexicon, just in case. They should be here any day.  The
power
supply for my Boss SX700 is a strange one too. Just picking it up or
changing it's direction produces different degrees of hum.  I may order a
new one of that as well.

This issue is very slippery. There are so many factors, and just tweaking
one thing in a system can impact other factors, and visa versa.
Before I built this new rack system, I had absolutely no 60 cycle hum.
Then when I added all those effects in my rack (LXPs, VF-1, Akira, etc) and
their respected power supplies....the hum appeared.  It's definitely a
systematic issue, because one thing does not cause the hum by itself, and
removing one thing does not eliminate it.  In short, nothing is sufficient
or necessary to produce hum...one of those concepts that baffles
philosophers when trying to define a thing, state, or event.

For record, I absolutely loath and despise with every fiber of my being
those freakin' wall wart power supplies. I wish everyone would just build
them internally and use a standard PC power cord, like with the EDPs.

Kris