Re: 60 cycle hum in racks - stopping the insanity / share your magic

Kris -

I sympathize with your predicament.  But as you say, you've not tried
*everything* yet.

> ...everything short of incantations, hexes, and attempting black magic!

So, here are two sites for you to explore so you leave NO stone unturned...
     -    http://www.pinstruck.com/curse.php3
     -    http://www.spelwerx.com/

:-)

On a more serious note, try this.

1) Use the hum in your work.  One time I encountered a ridiculous amount of
hum when I entered a recording studio.  So, I just used it, and even worked
on amplifying it to get enough signal to record it "well."   Of course,
once
you're known in town as "Hummin' Hartung" it might be time to look for
other
solutions.

2) Try breaking your tightly packed rig into two cases instead of one --
i.e. leave space between effects.  If you have a bunch of "cheaper" effects
(<$400) they may be inte-RF-ing with eachother.  Do I remember you just
bought a VORTEX?  That sucka sure adds some dynamo-hum to my rig.  Anyway,
separating the effects across two road cases with spaces can have another
benefit: less strain on your back.

3) Use short and shielded cables - never wrap them or run them in circles
"neaten them up."  That only amplifies their antennae characteristics.

David