THE BEST CHEAP RECORDING SOLUTION

I was heartbroken to have my Sony recording MD player break down,
irrevocably, on me recently.
I did almost my entire live looping CD with that machine.

I was also chagrined to find that Sony no longer offers an inexpensive
recording MD player (mine was
about  $150 when I purchased it) and instead, cynically, only offers one
for
about $300.   Is there one on the market
in that cheaper range (sub $200)?

Anyway,    I had a conversation with a musician here while back (who I
can't
even remember) who swears by the
latest Mpeg format for recording.   He said the fidelity is amazing.

I am wondering:    with all you experts on this list:

WHAT IS THE BEST LIVE RECORDING MEDIUM THAT IS INEXPENSIVE  (please don't
say a laptop).
I mean,  is there any elegant solution under $200?

as a subcategory for this thread, I'd also be curious what the distinction
is in fidelity between Mini Disc and
say,  mp3s or other media.

thanks,   Rick