RE: Musicians Wanted (mannequins only please)

I always thought it would be fun to put three or four mannequins in the
audience sitting in chairs, where you could press a button that would
generate canned applause and chatter. In fact, one of these days I'd
like to create a really off the wall, avant-garde CD titled "standing
room only", and the CD would be me playing on a small stage in a
restaurant or coffee shop with nothing but mannequins in all the
chairs....sort of depicts the attitude I had toward performances and
audience turn-out about seven years ago when I was playing in an
avant-garde jazz trio (guitar-drums-bass).  The more people that showed
up, the more disappointed I became, because it made me feel that my
music was becoming more popular, appealing to the common musical
listeners' pallet, and down-graded to the common denominator.
Essentially, I wanted to be interpreted as so un-popular, that only a
few esoteric listeners would come to my shows and focus intently on the
ludicrous obscurity and opacity of my music. :)

I've actually performed some music that was so off the wall that when
people applauded, it sort of insulted me as if they clapping just for
the sake of clapping.   On stage, I tend to be self-conscious, hate to
talk, don't make a lot of eye contact, remain self-absorbed, etc.   I'm
sort of a contradiction, however...I like the attention from an artistic
recognition standpoint, but I hate being the center of attention.  I
want people to listen to and focus on my music, but I don't when them to
express this en mass...I'd rather have individuals come up to me and
compliment or comment on my music.  Then again, if I were playing to a
very large audience in a show-case context, and no one applauded, that
might seem sort of weird.  Incidentally, Miles Davis used to scold his
audiences for clapping after solos in performances.  And I've seen jazz
soloists, who were second in line in the solo routine, start to play,
pause until the audience noise settled, and then start their solo again.

If you can pull it off (I do this once in a while), just play non-stop
for a whole set with no pauses between songs...I find this to be easy
with looping, because you can let your loops fade out and start playing
the intro of the next song. In other words, don't give them the
opportunity to applaud!

Anyway, interesting topic here...

Krispen Hartung
http://www.krispenhartung.com
info@krispenhartung.com
View improvisational / real-time looping videos:
http://www.myweb.cableone.net/chagstrom2/music/kris-hartung/catalogue.ht
m#videos
Interactive tour of my gear: http://www.boisemusicians.com/gear.htm