Re: For your listening amusement

I have this same issue! I listen to the tracks so much while working with them I start to find them too sparse and what to add a little more flare....then, after putting them away for a while, I discover I added too much....leaving the ambient soundscape for a contextual one.

I wish someone will build a meter for that!

Date: 02/14/05 10:28:33
Subject: Re: For your listening amusement

I really liked the choice of sounds and textures...
but for an ambient soundscape I found it busy to the
point of distraction.  Trust me, I know this topic...
becaues it's one of my biggest issues with my own
music!  I've found that what I "feel" is a good amount
of activity is often way way way too much and I need
to play about 1/4 the amount.

A few techniques I've found that work well to "thin"
out my playing are to take frequent breaks during a
performance while really listening to and enjoying the
current loop.  Spend some time tweaking the loop with
a performance orientated effects processor like an
Alesis AirFX.  Another good technique is take a nice
slow but beautiful movie or scene and score it in real
time.  You'll be surprised how little you need to do
to make a great composition.

Mark