Re: Sit or Stand? Guitarist and Bassists only

At 07:49 PM 2/20/2005, Gary Lehmann wrote:

>...a poll of the looping string players: how many sit and how many stand?

Well, I've currently got two different setups where I'm playing stringed
instruments -- a Yamaha G10 MIDI (guitar) controller, and a newly acquired
Chapman Stick.

For the G10, I'm almost always standing.  I usually only have one
footpedal
that I'm working at a time, thanks to the fact that I can control a second
parameter simultaneously with its built-in breath controller. The
unfortunate side effect of this, though, is that I'm usually paying more
attention to the floor, since I have this annoying habit of wandering back
and forth while playing (not so easy to do when you're wired up like a
Borg) and frequently lose "center" of just where and what position my
pedals are in.

With the Stick, I find myself up-down-up-down-up-down at an almost
disconcerting rate.  The main reason for sitting is that the Stick is a
stereo (or, more correctly, dual mono) instrument, and I find myself doing
a lot of double sided volume swells using two pedals simultaneously.  Some
day soon [sic] however, I'm going to get around to programming the volume
sliders for each side's input in reverse to each other.  That way, a
single
pedal should be able to control the volume/balance between both sides
(e.g.
heel down = melody strings at full volume; toe down = bass strings at full
volume).  After that happens, I should once again be able to wander around
and happily 'shoe gaze' in the same manner that I do with the G10.

         --m.

_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil