Re: ugly racks of gear AND Re: Sit or Stand? Guitarist and Bassists only

Heh!  McRorie is a nice guess, but nope.

This guy was -- and still is -- a fricking gear genius (not to imply that
McRorie isn't, however).  We started the studio back about '87 or '88, and
he had built his own MIDI trap kit from scratch.  It didn't look that much
different from the V-Drums that Roland released almost ten years later,
although it was a stylistically a bit more of a drum "cage" than the
V-Drums.  At that time, it was Simmons, Clavia (i think), and Dynacord
that
pretty much owned the market there.

The triggers that McRorie uses on his feet don't look too different from
the ones that my business partner John built.  They're actually nothing
more than Radio Shack piezos soldered up to one end of a guitar cable and
plugged into a MIDI trigger brain (we used a Roland PM-16, at the time).
velcro strap holds them onto your foot, and *viola* your kick drum is
positioned wherever your foot happens to be.  The best part of their
innovation is their simplicity.

Unfortunately, John was as talented as a chef as he was as a
musician/engineer, and that's where he's making his money today.  He still
plays music, but mostly for himself when last we talked.

         --m.