From: samba - [mailto:sambacomet@hotmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2005 2:01 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: RE: Improvisation Ears, Styles, and chops was RE: Loop Jams vs.
Jazz Jams

   The way I prefer to look at it ,being a able to play scales and
arpeggios
fast,doesn't add up to having chops,that sort of skill tends to lead to
so
called improv that is merely playing fast permutations of learned
patterns
over a given rhythmic,chordal framework.Which can of course be really
fun to
do. But if carpenters showed off their skills the way some musicians do
,all
the nails would show and there'd be afuckofalotof 'em
   The improv skills  that I seldom hear discussed are Composition
skills,which include well develpoed sense of beginning/middle/end,the
ability to tell what is essential and what is embellishment , Daring,
problem solving( follows right on the heels of daring)  effective use of

Space.The ability to work effectively with line,harmony,color,texture,
blend/contrast motion,repetition/variation
foreground/background,tension/resolution ,motivic development,dynamics,
timing,counterpoint,gesture etc. as creative tools. Most of these
compositional elements can be employed working with raw sound as well as

tuned instruments.  An interesting approach to group improv can be to
agree
in advance on a story,and then try to tell it .

It seems to me that improvisers who pay attention to each other should
be
able to play together regardless of differences in instruments, styles,
techniques and musical knowledge, by bringing big ears to the session
and
responding at some level to the essence of what each other is doing.