more USB interface woes

Well, I've tried everything (just about) and I still can't get my Tascam USB audio/midi interface to work. It just cuts out every few seconds, and that's when I'm playing a wav or mp3 off of my hard drive. Can't imagine what it would do if I actually tested it with some decent system usage. I bought a PCMCIA USB2 card thinking the USB 1 was the problem, but that seems to be even slower, causing more frequent breakups. I don't know what to do. Is more ram the answer? (I've got 128megs) What could be the problem?
I found a trojan and 185 spyware programs on my computer, which were apparently causing it to run like molasses, but after deleting them all, the USB audio signal seems no better.
What about those PCMCIA audio interfaces? Do you think one of those would fix the problem? Any help would be super.
-Devin

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!