AW: wanted: MIDI watchdog

Unfortunately, for this I'd need another laptop (not cheap) with MIDI
interface and an independent MIDI merge/patchbay. I did however come up
with another solution:

The setup for the event consists of:
        * Laptop (running Live!)
        * Waldorf Q
        * Roland MC-505
        * Behringer FCB1010
        * other Stuff (not relevant here)

Concentrating on the relevant core of the setup, MIDI runs like this:

Laptop Out: to Waldorf Q In

Waldorf Q Out: to MC505 In
Waldorf Q Thru: to other stuff

MC505 Out/Thru: to Behringer

Behringer Out/Thru: to Laptop

The MC505 is set to slave to clock.

Now comes the tricky part:
The Q syncronizes its internal clock to the clock at the MIDI in and
sends the internal clock at the out. Now in the normal case (i.e. laptop
is running), the Q syncs the internal clock to the laptop and sends the
internal clock (which is identical to the laptop clock) to the MC505. In
the event of a laptop crash, the Q will no longer receive a clock at the
input, so it continues to send the now free-running internal clock which
runs at the tempo and in the phase it last synced to! So all I have to
do to have at least a beat going is to always have the MC505 drum along
and in case of a crash just unmute the respective channels!

Everyone should design their devices like Waldorf did.

        Rainer