Re: tough crowds = big cities? kind rooms = smaller towns??

At 8:01 PM -0500 3/8/05, David Kirkdorffer wrote:
>In my experience when I've played small towns and out of the way locations
>the reception I receive is far warmer and more engaging than my
>experiences
>playing in Boston.
>
>Why Boston has such jaded and harfd audiences is beyond me.  Maybe it's
>just
>the same everywhere and when I'm out of town, I'm somehow better validated
>to the crowd's drug consumption, socializing and the pursuit of sexual
>partners...

This is sometimes extremely strangely so. I played a loop and sound
gig at a coffeehouse in Louisville, CO. A fairly conservative little
town between Boulder and Denver. I played with Erik Deutsch and
Farrell Lowe, who are both practitioners of some pretty strange stuff
and I brought as many toys and loops as I could muster and it was a
fairly dense couple of sets. Not only did everyone who started with
it stay the evening, but the crowd actually grew as time went on! It
renewed my faith in humanity!

Edwin

--

Edwin Hurwitz