Re: READING?

Hi all,

I read altogether too much. I would "live" more (and be less
sleep deprived) if I read just a little less. In fact, I just finished off
another great novel last night: "Embers" by the late Hungarian
author, Sandor Marai.

Stepping backwards through the last 6 months or so:

"Embers" by Sandor Marai
"Stones From the River" by Ursula Hegi
"Interpreter of Maladies" by Jhumpa Lahiri
"The Naked and The Dead" by Norman Mailer
"To Err Is Devine" by Agota Bozai
"The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini
"Life of Pi" by Yann Martel
"The Power and The Glory" by Graham Greene
"For The Time Being" by Annie Dillard
"Hackers and Painters" by Paul Graham
"Fear: A Spiritual Navigation" by Jo Kadlecek
"The Cyberiad" by Stanislaw Lem
"Walk in The Light While There Is Light" Leo Tolstoy
"A Murder, A Mystery and a Marriage" by Mark Twain
"The Godson" By Leo Tolstoy
"Mortal Engines" by Stanislaw Lem
"Eden" by Stanislaw Lem

Interspersed with all of these are 6 or 8 "Doctor Who" series sci-fi
novels (a weakness) -- which are just light entertainment and mostly
completely forgetable and "Peshawar Lancers" by S.M. Stirling another
sci-fi (alternate history) novel of somewhat lesser literary calibre.

I subscribe to a local daily newspaper, read the NY Times online
daily, get a dozen magazines monthly and read altogeher too
much e-mail. And then there are the hated tech manuals for
all of my toys and the computer software. Ugh!

Of all of the above I would most highly recommend:

"The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini (really, really terrific, horrific, outstanding)
"Stones From the River" by Ursula Hegi (most humane story, POV/life-changing)
"For The Time Being" by Annie Dillard (which I have read about 2 or 3 times before)
"Life of Pi" by Yann Martel (most creative, unexpected, novel I've read in a long time)

No wonder my eyes are so bad.

Best regards,

tEd ® kiLLiAn

"Different is not always better, but better is always different"

http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.html
http://www.CDbaby.com/cd/tedkillian
http://www.guitar9.com/fluxaeterna.html
http://www.garageband.com/artist/ArsOcarina
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2845073
http://www.netmusic.com/web/album.aspx?a_id=CBNM_17314

and Viztas. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Blah, blah, blah. So???

"Just because nobody understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."