running two amps at once

Greetings fellow loopers,
     I have a question for you which may have been addressed in the past.
tried searching the list archives for the answer to my question before
bothering everyone but that turned out to be a waste of time. So here we
go.
I'm well aware that an a/b switch is necessary in order to drive two
amplifiers at once. What I am curious about is whether it is possible for
me
to send the loop signal from my boomerang to a smaller 2x12 amp while at
the
same time using my 4x10 to drive my lead signal. My reason for doing this
is
to cut down on some of the increased gain/distorted signal caused by
playing
over top of a musical sample through the same amp. I'm sure many of you
have
noticed that once you have more than two or three layers the sound is
affected to a significant degree. So even if my two amp idea is
unworkable,
if any one had any suggestions for me in improving my sound your ideas are
welcome. Thanks, take care all.
-Andy