Re: running two amps at once

Title: Re: running two amps at once
At 4:19 AM +0000 3/21/05, Andy Morris wrote:

someone else replied saying that i could split my signal with any stereo pedal. is this true?

As a general answer I'd say, "No, you can't necessarily split a signal with any stereo pedal."  What kind of stereo pedal?

The simplest way to split a signal is with a "Y" adaptor or cable. This will work fine in most cases where you have one unbalanced line-level signal that needs to be split into two unbalanced line-level signals. If you need to split the signal into several duplicate signals, or if you are very fussy about the strength and quality of your signal you can also use an active splitter (such as the Behringer MX882 <http://www.behringer.com/MX882/index.cfm?lang=ENG>, but this is really overkill for your situation.

You say you have a Line6 delay. I assume that is the DL4 Delay Modeler. This unit has two audio outputs, Left and Right. While you could patch one output to one amp and the other output to the Boomerang and thence to the other amp, this will probably not give you  the results you want. What will happen in this case is that the Left channel of the stereo output will go to the first amp and the Right channel of the stereo output will go to the Boomerang and the other amp. The results will be different depending on which effect setting  you are using.

I your original message you didn't say anything about using other effects. You mentioned a Boomerang and two amps, but now you say you also have a stereo delay. Do you have other effects devices as well? How are they connected? Are you looping the sound of your instrument with effects or is the looped signal a clean signal direct from the instrument? Do you use effects on the output of the Boomerang or does it go directly to the second amp?

I'm happy to explain techniques and to suggest possibilities, but the important first step is for you to be clear and complete in your explanation of your equipment and your intentions. This in turn must be based on a clear understanding of basic concepts and vocabulary such as:  mono versus stereo, series versus parallel connection, balanced versus unbalanced signal, splitting versus mixing a signal, etc.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://salamandersongs.com