RE: Some of my new music....downloadable

> Hi there Kris,

I just wanted to respond and say that I've been enjoying your latest
tracks quite a bit. Good playing and your improvisations frequently
sound very "composed." Some really interesting musical ideas in there --
and fancy guitar processing too BTW. I can imagine several ways you
might be doing it -- but how ARE you getting the "soft attack" sort of
synth-flutey guitar tone on the track "Ataraxia", VG-88? Good work. Keep
posting it. I'll buy a copy of the CD when it's finished.

Best regards,

tEd R kiLLiAn

******

Thanks, Ted. I really appreciate the comments. :)

You are correct in that I have been trying to use more recurring themes
in my latest works, which comes across as more composed.  When I said
most of my material was composed, this was indicating that on a few
songs I actually did spend a few minutes experimenting with an
arrangement before hitting the EDP record button, in order to work out a
base part, especially the songs that have more jazz-like chordal work
such as Super Vibe. I can freely improvise that chord work, but just
decided to pre-arrange something beforehand on that song...then
everything after that base chord work - solos, melodies, textures, etc -
is all freely improvised.   Not that I don't like the more obscure and
less repetitive approach...I just need to balance composition techniques
once in a while, if not for my own sanity, for the sake of listeners who
don't always get off on a 15 minute song that is seemingly chaotic and
without a simple theme they can latch on to psychologically.  I guess
I'm a "pluralist" in this respect, in that I advocate many approaches,
either individually in balance or blended. It's all a part of the
overall took-kit.

The "fancy guitar processing"...oh yes, I am really enjoying the new
patches I made from the Lexicon LXP5 and Boss VF-1....they opened up
some new ground.

You ask: "how ARE you getting the "soft attack" sort of synth-flutey
guitar tone on the track "Ataraxia", VG-88?"

That sound is from the brass guitar synth patch of the Boss GT-3....or
maybe the Boss VF-1. I can't remember, but they are both the exact same
patch. I modified the patch by rolling off the highs, to produce a more
mellow and softer tone.  As for the attack, that is just me. The GT-3
and VF-1 guitar synth patches, especially the brass waveform, are REALLY
good at capturing the natural dynamics of the guitar and my playing.
Some folks poooh poooh these units, but the sensitivity is really nice
if you setup the patch parameters correctly. I can pick very softly and
the unit will actually accurately reflect this dynamic. The saw or
string waveforms are not this cooperative. They seem to be more on-off
in behavior.  I am naturally more biased toward brass and woodwinds,
rather than string tones for soloing.  Sometimes the timbre of violins
and cellos doesn't appeal to my ear.

Kris