Re: basic loop equipment

Hi Stephanie,

For what you're doing, I'd be willing to bet you'd be
quite happy with the Boss RC-20. It's an entry-level
looper without a whole lot of bells and whistles, but
what sets it apart from the other loopers in its price
range is its long sampling time, plenty to loop a
I-IV-V backing part or a verse/chorus/bridge song that
you could then solo over until the cows came home.

There are two versions of the RC-20; the newest one is
the RC-20XL that has a greater amount of memory and
more features, but the original RC-20 still has five
full minutes of recording capacity and can most likely
be picked up very reasonably used.

Also available for the purposes you've described are
the little "phrase samplers" like the Sabine
Backtrack, but I think you'd probably very quickly
find that they don't sound very good and aren't as
usefull overall as something like the RC-20. They're
cheaper, but you'd definitely be wanting to upgrade a
lot sooner.

Another option that you probably already own would be
to use your computer's audio recording capability to
record backing parts which you could then edit to loop
nicely while you play over it.

Good luck!

-t-

--- Stephanie Stemmler <sstemmler@above-the-fold.com>