Re: That Awful Synching Feeling

On Apr 30, 2005, at 1:56, Doug Cox wrote:

>   I avoid the problem Per mentions (1/2 speed, full-speed affects
> the clock) because I use 2 EDPs, and I only slave other devices off
> of the #1 EDP, which I rarely (almost never?) allow to go into 1/2
> speed.  1/2 speed stuff is done on my #2 EDP.

Wow, I've never thought of that! I would like to get a second EDP if
I could afford it. I too like very much to be able to set the tempo
by the first loop. I think this is one of the keys for doing a good
live performance. The first note you play is the most important! It
has to be mean as hell. It has to be magnificent. The first note (or
loop) you play has to sum up emotionally what you are going to do,
why you are standing there on the stage. The first note justifies the
concert. If the first note suck nothing can save the gig.

To pull that off takes a great deal of concentration and it might be
difficult to prepare mentally if you have to at the same time think
about which tempo to follow. With the EDP as master, defining the
master clock tempo by the first loop recorded, you only have to think
about making that first note as true a you ever can.

Late yesterday night I posted in thread and then I woke up this
morning with the knowledge that I had forgot to mention the "first
loop defining tempo" dimension of running the EDP as the master.
Funny ;-)  I'm glad I did not dream about looping BTW, because in
dreams every loop has a very annoying tendency to repeat all over
without ever changing. I may be a word or a smell that just bounces
inside your head until you finally wake up, totally exhausted but
happy to be out of the loop at last.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
---