Re: In search of a NEW effect --- was: Fill my rack!

being one of the ones ( like you, I guess) who considers an effect as a
part of the instrument in itself, I wanted to share my thoughts:
-all the effects are originated by mathematical calculations (hardware
or software, analog or digital) applied to the sound some way.
-these algorythms can generate all the effects we all know: compression,
distortion, delay (from which reverb, chorus, flanger etc.), phase and
pitch shifting  and so on.

therefore I think that the only "new" effects tool will be the one that:
-will offer a "new" combination of these
-Will offer you the chance to control these combinations with the
easiest User Interface available.

In my experience this is the most critical factor, especially if you
make music without thinking to it as a mathematical construction but
looking after its final, musical, result.
I found myself using several processors chained together knowing well
that I could reduce the size of my rack because I could get the same
sonic result creating a bigger algorythm in jsut one or more of them.
But there is something I can not do with one big algorythm: its changing
parts of it on the fly without encurring in dropouts or having to scroll
big books of menupages, making me forgetting the music I am doing and
dressing the white apron of the mad scientist.

So for now I work with repatching and splitting and feedbacking....

I can't wait to meet Per and the others of you who will perform in
Zurich and use a laptop to see how viable this solution may be.
I am not looking to pc processing as a way to get the same sounds I am
using now, rather to check how its User Interface will allow me to have
all the colours I need in a such smaller package than a 10 U. rack.

my 2 cents....
luca