Re: AW: coming up with titles

There's always the creative method that Dave Matthews
uses - just number them until you think of a name.
That's why they have such catchy titles as:  #40, #41,
etc.

=)

I think I read once that some of their titles were
even suggested by roadies with no relevance to the
song, such as "Blue Water Baboon Farm."

Mike

--- Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill
<rs@moinlabs.de> wrote:

> John Corbett wrote:
>
> >How do you do it?  I think I put way to much
> >importance on this.  Sometimes something just hits
> you
> >and that's it but most of the time I listen to a
> piece
> >over and over and draw a blank.
>
> Sometimes, I try to keep a relationship between the
> music and the title
> - sometimes I do not. Keeping a notebook of possible
> titles (as John
> McIntyre suggested) is a great idea - and you can
> get titles from almost
> everywhere. Of course, books are a great source,
> albeit one where other
> artists might have salvaged already. Titles I took
> from fiction books
> were "Amazing scenes" (an important line in "A House
> for Mr. Biswas" by
> V.S. Naipaul) and "Chiba City Blues" (from
> Neuromancer, which of course
> lots of other musicians already thought of), and
> "The Corrections". Then
> there are titles hidden in non-fiction, even
> scientific texts. From a
> book on monte carlo methods in quantum
> electrodynamics:
> "turnabout.increment." and "Fractal Dimension".
> Computer games might be
> a source ("Rangers lead the way"). Sometimes the
> place you play provides
> a source for titles (a concert we played at a
> coctail bar resulted in
> titles like "Blushin' Russian", "Swimming Pool" and
> "Flaming Blue
> Fuck"). Then there's names of places ("Aqua Negra",
> a wholly unaesthetic
> place near Lago di Garda, Italy, *hi Luca*),
> political texts (I played
> this concert where I did the titles "Massive
> Retaliation" and "Flexible
> Response"). Then there's funny things you might here
> about on TV or in
> conversation. I once met this girl who worked as a
> "freelance clown"...
>
> So just keep your ears/eyes open and think about
> writing down everything
> that sounds interesting.
>
> Then, of course, my strategy might seem unapt as
> most of my titles are
> rather...childish...
>
>       Rainer

Discover Yahoo!
Find restaurants, movies, travel and more fun for the weekend. Check it
out!
http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html