Re: coming up with titles

Yeah!  Starting with the title can be great fun. I belong to a lodge of
the Immersion Composition Society, an Oakland based group
committed to QUANTITY songwriting.  Once a month or so everyone in the
group writes and records as many songs as they can in one
day.  We all meet later in the evening and listen to what each other has
done that day.  We often start by throwing song titles around via
email for a few days prior, so sometimes 7 people will show up with
different songs with the same titles.

For instrumental music, I find that an interesting title can actually
change the context of the music significantly.  I actually got into Frank
Zappa from reading some of the titles on an album.  I think he was a
marketing genius as well as a musical genius.  The humor in his
titles gave a different meaning to the instrumental songs than if they had
been titled "Instrumental 4 for Electric Band" or something.  He
was actually selling/marketing his personality as much as he was selling
the actual music on the disc.  Hey, as long as it gets someone to
listen to the music, right?

David Byrne said (paraphrased):  "Words are there to make people listen to
music for longer than they would otherwise".  I think the same
can be said for creating a context for a piece of music with a title.

Joe Rut