Re: Drummachine?

Interesting, I was not aware of that quantizing
function.  Seems odd.  Why would you have a function
like that that you can't disable on a modern device?
Silly.

However, if memory serves, the famous TR-909 also
lacked anyway of disabling quantize, but it still
became an icon even though it had "toyish" sounds.
Funny, at the time I went with a Yamaha drum machine
because of it's more realistic sounds... RX-11 (and
was cheaper if memory serves)  The 909 was only in
production for a year and I remember it wasn't really
that well received.  I think it got more popular when
poor inner city kids bought them used or at blow out
prices and then figured out how to make them work.

Well, the box containing the Electribe ESX-1 sits on
the floor of my cubical so there's no turning back...
for now.  I'm actually excited to have something that
trades copious features (E-MU XL-7) for intuitive
interface.  The older I get the more I embrace the
limitations of gear and find it inspiring.  Also, the
longer I work with drum machines/sequencers the more I
want to make them sound like the machines they are.
The juxtaposition of machine with traditional
instruments really excites me.

... and for those of you who think a gameboy is not a
musical instrument, I'd ask you to talk to a former
list member and friend Will Wright.  Using a program
called nanoloop he makes wonderful things.  Also,
check out the "Gameboy Variations" of Beck's new
album.  I think they're iTunes store exclusives, but
they're more than worth the money.

Mark