Re: 3 Mah-na mah-na MP3s Here

On Saturday, June 4, 2005, at 06:37 AM, Hartung, Kris wrote:

> You're leaning cello? Move to Boise asap. I can't find a cello player
> in
> a 300 miles square radius who is interested in looping and playing
> avant-garde music...sort of like Kronos Quartet meets Joe Morris.
> Anyone guitar players out there listen to Joe? I have a few of his
> CDs...he's kind like the Cecil Taylor or Eric Dolphy of
> guitarists...not
> for everyone, but seems to be where my mind has been drifting these
> days.
>
> All hail Grover....
>
> Kris out
>
> P.S. I had my first gig a few days ago with my laptop and virtual VST
> effect rack. I'll post a soundclip this week of a very experimental
> tune
> I recorded.

Hey Kris,

Joe Morris is indeed cool, I've seen him a couple of times, and he
always blows me away. He has such a pure conception, everything is
conveyed in his note and harmony choices, his tone and technique seem
to be pretty transparent. Beautiful player.

Good luck on finding an avant-garde cellist in Boise! Until a few
months ago, I would have just laughed at you trying to find any avant
players in Boise, but now I think you might at least have a chance. I
grew up in far-east Oregon and spent a lot of time Boise as a
kid/teenager. Seemed like a real music backwater at the time. But, I
played a gig there, as part of the Gene Harris Jazz fest a few months
ago, and, after not being back for 20 some years, I was really
surprised and pleased at how hip the audience at our show was! Met some
very cool people, and felt that our own outward-leaning jazz-funk was
well understood and accepted. Met a couple of music students from BSU
who had huge ears, I believe the guys we talked to played trumpet and
guitar, but the music school might be an avenue for finding cool
players.