From: Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill [mailto:rs@moinlabs.de]
Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2005 2:31 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: AW: surround looping revisited

Thanks four your feedback, Kris!

First, let me mention that this setup is more of an interactive
installation rather than "normal" music. What I currently do is let it
simply run and pick up street noises coming through the windows, incoming
phone calls, toilet flush, espresso machine... and see what happens.

Now coming back to your questions, and I'll answer the last one first.
Check out the AcousModules web site acousmodules.free.fr (note that the
English version of the page is currently not really functional - hope you
speak some french ;-) Use the SpatDelays effect (its basically eight
delays in one unit), send your (monophonic) source singnal to inputs one
to four, turn on delays one to four with different delay times and send
the output of delays one to four to your four speakers.

My current setup in AudioMulch looks like this (a setup you can replace in
any of the modular audio thingies like Bidule or EnergyXT or even Nuendo
I'm sure):

Inputs 1-4 (from Microphones)
one Buzz Compressor per channel with huge threshold, long release and
strong limiting and lots of makeup gain V
4x4 Matrix
two EllotronixXL in stereo mode with decay centered (these act only as
long delay lines)

The four independent delay outputs are used as inputs for several effects
(some of them with surround outputs or inputs and outputs), several of
them from the AcousModules website. The output of these is fed into four
4-to-1 mixers which in turn feed the four independent outputs.

The speakers are set up in a kinda-quadrophonic fashion in my bedroom, the
microphones are placed differently: one (AT4050 in figure-eight) sits next
to the computer at the back end of the room, one (Rode NT-1A) is pointed
at the window and picks up street noise as well as reflections from the
window. A SP C4 pair (cardioid) is set up in the hallway, one mike
pointing towards the living room.

Currently, I'm trying to fight the buildup of drones (hence my question
about feedback destroyer plugins). These do form a kind of strange
attractor for the system - meaning that independent of the input, after a
finite time the system lands in "boooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh" mode :-(

        Rainer