Re: portable recorder advice...

Hi Kenardo,

people I ran across on the recording forums have gone crazy about this:
http://www.core-sound.com/HighResRecorderNews.html

They offer two things:
a) a 24/192-capable SPDIF adapter which fits into a CF slot
b) a two-channel micpre with phantom power and 24/192 A/D converters which
connects to a) about the size of a PDA

Combine this with a PDA with a CF and additional memory slot (e.g. Asus
A730), install the software supplied with the thingie, put in a big memory
card, connect two condensers, and you got yourself a system for field
recordings the size of a PDA. Pristine quality. Stereo. Four hours
capacity
@ 24/96. MP3 (and afaik FLAC) coding on-the-fly.

Please note that I have not tried the system myself, only passing on
information I read. Specifically, I don't know a) whether this thing will
work with all PDAs (and laptops) with CF slot, b) how it sounds, c)
stability (SW and HW) etc. etc. Also mentioning the Asus A730 is not a
recommendation as the perfect PDA for this application, it just serves as
an
example for a PDA with both CF and another memory card slot.

Prices: you get the SPDIF interface for $199 and the micpre for $549. Add
this a PDA for $450 and a memory card for $300 and you're set. This
combination lies clearly above the prices of the usual minidisc suspects,
but as you can see from the price list, the most expensive part is the
micpre/converter. And you even get a modern PDA out of the deal for free ;)
And sound-quality-wise, this combo does not compete with the minidisc
variants, but rather with recorders like the Marantz PMD671 and Fostex
FR-2 - both of which have a price tag well above $1000...

Of course, there are the beefed-up MP3 players (like the ones by Rio,
Cowon
and Archos). If they offer the possibility to record audio, what they lack
in is mostly quality micpres and, to a lesser extent, A/D converters.

        Rainer