From: David Trenkel [mailto:improv@peak.org]
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 11:49 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: The dangers of live laptop looping...

I've been taking my laptop, a P4 1.8G IBM ThinkPad, out to gigs with my
band for the last few months, mostly using it to trigger some
pre-recorded loops in Ableton Live. Lately, I've decided I wanted to do
some live looping of my bass as well, so I put together a Live Set that
has Ellotronix XL, Mobius, Supatrigger, and a few Pluggo plugs as a live
looping/manipulation/devastation-station. Worked up a looping solo that
would be the intro to one of our new tunes, actually a cover of an
Ethiopian pop/jazz tune from the 70's. Anyway, played with it a lot in
the studio, took it to the gig Friday night, and all was cool, other
than accidentally nudging the knob assigned to the "Silence" function in
Supertrigger, setting it to a very high value and briefly causing some
severe dropouts. Otherwise, totally cool, got a great response, the band
dug it, etc...

So, anyway, I take it to the gig Saturday, and all works fine during
soundcheck, I even demo the looping setup for a friend who is a student
in the U of Oregon electronic music program. We start our first set, and
the tune before the the tune with my bass solo has me triggering some
tabla loops from the Live. Since the laptop wasn't used for since
soundcheck, it had gone to sleep, and Live never works, at least on this
machine, when waking up from sleep. So I spend the rest of the tune
desperately trying to reboot the computer, while playing bass, which
kind of takes both hands. The tune is in E, so I can pedal on an open E
string while I force-quit Live and reboot. The computer is just coming
back up when we finish the tune. I signal the trumpet player to kill
some time while I get setup, and wait for what seems like an eternity
while Live loads the Set. I believe that VST's made in Synth Edit, like
Ellotronix, take a while longer to load, at least on this machine. When
it seems like Tim just can't fill any more time without telling a joke,
and trust me, you never want that to happen onstage, and the set STILL
isn't loaded, I start my solo. Sometime into the solo, the set finally
wakes up, and I see signal going into Live, and signal coming out on the
meters, but, no sound. So I'm desperatley trying to play a solo, tweak
my mixer and MIDI controller, and about to give up, when, all of a
sudden, the last bit I've played in the solo comes out booming, So I
pull the volume down to a reasonable level, wrap up the solo, start the
tune, and, later in the tune, take a raging fuzz-bass solo to clear up
some of the built-up frustration.

Moral of the story? Turn off the freaking Sleep function, dummy!