Re: The dangers of live laptop looping...

On Monday, June 6, 2005, at 11:10 AM, Hartung, Kris wrote:

> Oh my...yes, I had a similar problem once running ProTools. I'm all
> wireless at home, and so when I went to the venue my wirless system was
> searching endlessly for an access point...apparently distracted the
> system enough to product all sorts of errors and crashes. Turned the
> wirless antenna off and everything was smooth.

Fortunately, my laptop was so cheap that it doesn't include wireless, I
have to use a pcmcia card for WiFi. Since I use an Indigo Echo as a
sound card, that fills the PCMCIA card so I have no cahnce of
accidentally running WiFI at the same time. I guess that's a good thing
:-)

> ...but more importantly, you were using Mobius and some other VSTs.
> What
> VST host were you using to run them? Did you just run Mobius as your
> last VST plugin before heading off to the output of your soundcard or
> audio device?

I'm using Ableton Live as a host, with one effects loop running
Ellotronix XL->Supatrigger->Pluggo Granular To Go, and the second
running Mobius->Ableton Autofilter->Ableton Ping Pong Delay. I have a
Novation UC 33 USB fader box that controls, among other things, the
level of the input, in this case my bass, sent to the effects loops,
and controlling various parameters of the plugins. I like this setup
because once a loop is captured, I can tweak with it so it's not so
static. Or, in the case of Supatrigger, the plugin itself can
algorithmically screw with the loop, even better.