Looking for online collaborators from LP (for avant-garde/experimental duo project)

Title: Looking for online collaborators from LP (for avant-garde/experimental duo project)

Hello Folks -

Ah, what the hell…let's see if this flies or goes over like a cast iron blimp. A boy has got to dream….

I'd like to test the idea of an online musical recording collaboration and ultimately produce a low-budget CD of duo works. This would be titled "Xperimentus: Krispen Hartung & Friends", me and a number of other players.  The genre would be avant-garde/experimental, and involve looping of course. I would be looking for LP members whose strength is in soloing, rather than laying down chordal soundscapes, textures, etc (I consider percussion a solo instrument as well).  Soundcapes and foundational textures are good, but just a foundation for more complex single note "conversations" and "dialogues". This is just my preference as artistic director of the project.

Composition/Performance Parameters

The primary parameters of the project, non-exhaustive, of course:

Main point, I'm not shooting for pretty  or lofty tunes that have popular appeal, but more of a dark, abstract, or obscure feel.  Two examples, not meant to be a strict model are:

Tiny Monsters Ex Nihilo: http://www.savefile.com/filehost/projects3.php?fid=9594603&pid=830188
Artificial Reprise: http://www.soundclick.com/util/downloadSong.cfm?ID=2485638

I may even start the CDs with these tunes….not sure.

Collaboration Approach

Because I can't "play with" someone online, the collaboration will have to be reactive rather than interactive.  I want to keep the approach fairly loose and open to negotiation, but here are a few sketchy approaches for starters:

APPROACH A

1. Musician A lays down his track for the entire song in such a way that it leaves room for a second part
 - Could be just a basic soundscape, textures, sound effects, etc
 - Could be purely melodic work with breathing points for response from player B (to allow call and response)
2. Musician B lays down his track over Musician A's track
3. Either Musician A or B, or both, could lay additional tracks down

APPROACH B

1. Musician A lays down a section of a song
2. Musician B lays down another section of the song in sequence (directly following the first section)
3. Repeat 1. and 2.
4. Either Musician A or B, or both, could lay additional tracks down

These are just general guiding principles…really anything goes.  If we both want to play chaotic parts that overlay each other with no planned interaction, this is fine…radical, but fine. The basic file exchange approach is that the track would be recorded to wav or aif format and posted to SaveFile.com. Each contributor would use whatever software they use to lay their track over that wav file, and then re-post (CD quality, 16 bit, as close to 0db as possible). I'll master everything in ProTools, add final touch enhancements, etc.

CD Design/Credits/Financial Details

In short, I'm doing most of the production work and not doing this for money, but for my own artistic gratification and desire to play with others.  I'm not in any rush to get this complete either….whatever time it takes is fine with me, especially since I have another solo CD coming out in September. If it takes a year, then I'm fine with that.

I think 5 contributors, not including myself would be ideal, but it all depends on the number and length of the songs. 5 min tunes are probably a good standard.

Anyone interested?  Listen to the two samples above, and if this is something you think fits your style, then send me an email along with some samples of your music.  Once I have a handful of interested parties, I'll select those for the CD, and the rest I'll post as a digital CD, and perhaps use for a part II CD.

Or just tell me that I'm off my rocker.

Kris