AW: Building A Sampler/Looper around a barebone computer.

With all the stuff you want to do, the approach is to use a VST host
plus several plugins to do the stuff you like.
First question is the host: there are the sequencer-based solutions -
Steinberg Cubase/Nuendo (the latter only mentioned for completeness, as
it most probably is too "professional" for your application), Sony
(formerly Sonic Foundry) ACID, Ableton Live! - did I forget anything?
Then there are the more modular setups - these are basically
applications which allow to freely connect VST (and sometimes VSTi)
components and route your ASIO and MIDI interfaces to and from them and
use automation. I can think of two right now, AudioMulch and Plogue
Bidule. I have been working a little bit with AudioMulch and it's a
great tool - most of the really professional people seem to go for
Bidule.

Then, you do all the effects (including loops and sample triggering)
with VST(i) plugins. Live! comes with an acceptable sampler for your D)
requirement, as well as some "normal" delays and a cool and flexible
reverb which allows from normal up to completely whacked (I think Per
here makes great use of it...).

The plugins...do a search for "free VST plugin" to get an overview on
the freeware/shareware/donateware stuff. The most powerful looper (for
the PC) is afaik Mobius (basically eight brother-synced EDP pairs), then
there's LloopyLama (a syncable DL4) and AngstroLooper. There are TONS of
crazy effects on lots of sites - smartelectronics.com would be the first
one which comes to (my) mind, but just do a search on the web - they are
easy to find.

So the "least number of components used" solution for your requirements
might be Live! plus Mobius.

Latency is in fact a function of the power of your computer, the other
major influence being the interface hardware you use. It works some like
this (hey, everyone here - please correct if this is bullshit): First
you have a static latency caused by the interface which brings the audio
data stream into your computer. This is an idependent value for input
and output. Then, your ASIO driver layer uses input and output buffers
to allow your application a certain freedom when serving the inputs and
outputs. Bigger buffers means more latency. Smaller buffers means more
strenuos requirements on how often (and how regularily) your application
serves the input/output task. Some applications allow you to set the
priority of these tasks (high priority here means less performance
available for your creative tasks). And of yourse, the "power" of your
computer plays a role here. Interface-wise, the stuff by RME has earned
a great reputation with regard to low-latency (haven'd tried their
devices myself - yet).

The simple rule goes like this: Get a good interface, set your ASIO
buffers short, set the I/O tasks to high priority, then your latency is
very low - but you need a fast computer to still be able to do something
useful.

        Rainer