Improv loops (was Re: Upcoming gig

I totally hear you!  I just played my first live gig
in about 2 years and boy in hind sight I wish I'd have
had another month to prepare!  I'd decided to create
new material for it and I believe that was part of my
mistake.  On the bright side I got a bunch of new
stuff created and it's actually inspired me to drop
live improv and go for something that's closer to how
someone like Amy X or Andre Lafosse does live looping.

Why?  I realize that most of the shows I really walk
away from and enjoy are ones that are probably 80%
precomposed... so why aren't I making that kind of
music myself?  I used to... many moons ago.  I think
the freedom the JamMan/Sequencer gave me made me
really interested in this sort of totally improvised
music.  Hell, it's really fun to do... but from the
perspective of the audience, do they care (and by
audience, I don't mean your other looping friends)  I
just have realized that the more I plan out a piece
(usually by extensive studio improvisation) the better
the audience seems to recieve it.  I partly realize
this because a friend of mine moved to the SF area and
we used to play together.  I remember the shows we did
and the CD we put together and I realize that I've not
created anything like that since I left NY.  I think
it's time to move back to that way of performing.
Hell, if anything, it sure is a lot easier!  While the
trade off may be missing some of those happy
accidents, hopefully it will result in missing some of
those unhappy accidents too.
Mark