Re: Strategies (was: Re: Improv loops (was Re: Upcoming gig)

On Jun 15, 2005, at 9:45, Hartung, Kris wrote:

> ...no chordal instrument. They didn't need
> them. When soloist do their thing, the piano or guitar player comping
> tries to compliment them, match their coloration, alteration, and
> syncopation...they listen really hard to hear these nuances and work
> with them...use chordal call and response, and so on.

That area is where I find the magic of music to dwell in! The less
chord instruments involved, the cooler all chord changes sound - when
only implied by a plethora of melody lines! It may also be true about
solo flute pieces.

> You can listen to a
> musician at a performance, and usually tell within the first 10
> minuted
> whether they think like a jazz musician or a conventional or pop
> musician.

On some occasions I have been amazed, when playing with bands in
extremely loud and aggressive concepts, to find that those musicians
also listen and adapt the same way that jazzers do. But the line is
so much more delicate in metal - you are already burning at 95
percent and only have those five last percent to work with. In jazz
things are a lot easier because you may have 70 percent at your
disposal for adapting within the group. Just a finding that amazed
me ;-)

> I wish you played more avant-garde jazz, Per.

That's the "label" some people like to put on my noise making. I'm
not one of them though ;-)
I do love some Albert Ayler recordings though. Does avant-garde jazz
still exist? How do you play it without  sounding "avant-garde jazz-
ish"?

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)