RE: Strategies (was: Re: Improv loops (was Re: Upcoming gig)

> Does avant-garde jazz still exist? How do you play it without
sounding "avant-garde jazz- ish"?

Yes, but no one calls it that anymore, it seems. Now there are new terms
like post-bop, experimental jazz, modern jazz, free jazz, atonal,
structured improvisation, free improvisation, etc. Some of Dave
Holland's new stuff is way out there and I consider avant-garde jazz,
though he is really modern jazz. Not too long ago, John Abercrombie was
doing some really hip and off the deep end material...again, I consider
avant-garde. I consider Cecil Taylor avant-garde, though some would
argue that he is free jazz or free improvisation....so many
sub-categories of sub-categories, cross-categories, etc. Some of the
jazz purists only consider certain jazzers in the early 60's as
avant-garde. There is avant-garde jazz, and then there's just
avant-garde as a general bucket. It's all rather nebulous, but clear in
my mind, subjectively speaking. When I hear it, I know it.

Interestingly enough, if you go to All Music Guide on the net, they have
an amazing array of genres and historical descriptions, sub-divided and
sub-divided again and again. They note the founders of the Avante-Garde
Jazz genre as Cecil Taylor, Ornette Coleman, Sun Ra, and John Coltrane.
And there are still new artists coming out doing stuff that sound like
Cecil Taylor, Sun Ra, and Ornette Coleman....can't say Coltrane for sure
without waking up in the morning cursed. He's untouchable....well, maybe
James Carter...that cat blows my mind. I have a video of him playing at
the Newport Jazz Festival. He was making sounds come out of his sax that
sounded like from an alien world. The sax player standing next to
him...his eyes were bugging out in dismay. I felt sorry for him. :)
That kid is a jazz machine. I've never heard anyone play Charlie Parker
like him.

Anyway, musicially speaking, I'm in love with avant-garde...it makes my
world turn. The problem is not too many people want to hear it,
especially in Boise, ID. I'm a freak of nature here.  Who the hell in
Boise starts a tune with a major 7b5 chord (Maj7b5 or Maj7#4)),
modulates it several times, turns it into a series of looped soundscapes
and polychords, and then plays completely outside the tontal center(s)
for 10 minutes straight until it sounds like Ornette Coleman is jammed
inside my EDPs? That would be me. :)

Cripes, I have to get to bed....2:40am here, and I have to bottle-feed a
twin before I hit the sack. Thanks for the dialogue, Per. Dream of
atonal arrangements for me tonight, will you?

Kris