Re: Strategies (was: Re: Improv loops (was Re: Upcoming gig)

On Jun 15, 2005, at 10:41, Hartung, Kris wrote:

> Interestingly enough, if you go to All Music Guide on the net, they
> have
> an amazing array of genres and historical descriptions, sub-divided
> and
> sub-divided again and again. They note the founders of the Avante-
> Garde
> Jazz genre as Cecil Taylor, Ornette Coleman, Sun Ra, and John
> Coltrane.
> And there are still new artists coming out doing stuff that sound like
> Cecil Taylor, Sun Ra, and Ornette Coleman

Yeah, I too love those artists. I guess "Avante-Garde" is not the way
it sounds but the description of "something different, breaking into
new territories". Playing like Coltrane today would not be very
"avant-garde", rather conservative. But I see your point in talking
about jazz; the open mind, the communication in performance, the
implied structures not made explicit as in pop music. I too love that
way of relating to making music and I also love the sound of
"traditional avante-garde jazz". I try to not distract me from
looking for the real avante-garde. Does it exist? Where on the
musical map of 2006 are the white territories that musicians are just
about to break into?

> Cripes, I have to get to bed....2:40am here, and I have to bottle-
> feed a
> twin before I hit the sack. Thanks for the dialogue, Per. Dream of
> atonal arrangements for me tonight, will you?

It's not even noon here ;-)   He, he... Thanks for all nice posts!
Inspiring reading. I may not be dreaming about atonal arrangements
but in ten hours I will undertake a five hour train ride and I hope
to be dreaming about atonal real-time looping and pitch-shifting
(according to exp jazz impro aesthetics, if you want ;-). If I'm
lucky I will reach the destination with some new ideas to try out ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)
www.boysen.se (Swedish)