RE: Why I'm starting to loath news paper music critics

> Critics are, by temperment, quite often of the personality style that
truly believes music can be objectively good or bad.

Bingo!

> I had the pleasure to spend the better part of and evening drunkenly
debating with a local critic at a party once.  I put forth the argument
that
Madonna was not objectively "better" than Shakespeare. Oh, I agreed that
I personally preferred Shakespeare to Madonna.  But I
understood that that was a personal preference of mine.  He finally left
angry, unable to logically explain what he felt so deeply to be true:
that Shakespeare was objectively "better" than Madonna.

You articulated exactly what I was explaining in prior response about
saying a piece of music has no tangible melody or no meditative or
spiritual fare. Objective fact or personal preference?  On the
meditative factor, how would one go about proving this to be an
objective fact, that it is or isn't for someone.  Can't be done; hence
why say it in a matter of fact fashion in a review?

>> I was him in high school, vigorous in my assertion that Led Zeppelin
was the pinnacle and that Kraftwerk could hardly really be called
"music".  I mean, come on, the computer is playing most of it.

>> I'm rambling.  I apologize.  Haven't had morning coffee yet.

Very good and concise rambling, I might add.

Joe

PS:  Frank Zappa:  "Rock journalism is people who can't write,
interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read."
Not sure exactly how or if that applies to this discussion, but it makes
me laugh anyway.