RE: Why I'm starting to loath news paper music critics

Additional thought....sometimes music critics claim what amounts to saying "red is better than blue" in a matter of fact fashion, when in fact they are not being clear and meaning "I like red better than blue". A poor critic is one who can't discern the difference between articulate claims about ones feelings vs. factual claims about external events, objects, or states of affairs.  For this critic of mine to say that an entire CD has no tangible melody is a claim about how he feels about the music on the CD, yet clearly this links suggests there are other games in town:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-16,GGLD:en&oi=defmore&q=define:melody

Certainly one of these 28 definitions of melody means that I can say my CD does have tangible melodies. Hence, your point is proven: communication is the key, and many music critics are poor communicators.

Now if a critic says, the musician states in his CD sleave that he played a song based on the original sheet music, yet he can verify that this is not the case, then he is entitled to say that the musician did not play the song as it was written in the original sheet music.  And in this case it would seem silly to say, I feel that he didn't play the song as it as written in the original sheet music. Either he played the notes as they were written, or he didn't. Now whether a person gets meditative value out of a song is entirely his own affair, not subject to an external objective claim.

Kris