RE: Why I'm starting to loath/feel sorry for news paper music critics

Title: RE: Why I'm starting to loath/feel sorry for news paper music critics

[massive snip]....sorry, twin duty calls.

> In the case of this review (Larry), he states that the CD has no
> tangible melody in a matter of fact way, yet doesn't quality that this
> is how he feels or is a result of his unique definition of melody

>>In the context of what is apparently a mainstream popular local 'arts' paper I think the definition of melody is likely closer to 'something you can whistle in the bath' than any other more esoteric definition. In that context I'd agree with the reviewer that the music has little, if any, tangible 'melody'. You yourself have posted a link to a page with a couple of dozen definitions of 'melody'. Lots of possible interpretations there ...

Exactomundo. I'm willing to consummate here with this cross-section agreement.  The Hoi Polloi rules popular, common denominator interpretation, as it has for over 2000 years. Such is why Socrates drank the hemlock, as described the Apology. Such is life. Of course, the reviewer of my CD  is a musician, and should have known better.  It was just a cursory review, no research, no phone call, just a quick and dirty sketch without elaboration, and definitely not expecting me to bight off his head. That being said, below are additional reviews (10) of the same CD. Interesting how none of them urked me like the one in the paper….back to Seseme Street again: "One of these things (people) is not like the other, one of these things (people) is not the same….ladidada…" It's in the language and attitude. There were even some minor disagreements in these reviews…didn’t really bother me though. The way they were communicated help me understand that they were personal preference, rather than subjective claims disguised as matter of fact, or worse yet holier than thou ejaculation of drivel from the mouth (cripes, did I just say that? Whoops)

>> We seem to be arguing about objective fact contra subjective opinion, and who gets to define the terms. I am firmly of the opinion that no artist can reasonably expect to make the 'rules' as to how his work is interpreted by his audience. The work must stand by itself or not at all.

Agreed.

>> If you feel your work is misinterpreted then its your job as artist to make sure it doesn't get misinterpreted next time. You do that by making better art, not by crying 'foul' at the audience.

That's what the inside sleeve of my CD is for... ;) Perhaps the review never read it.

K-

"Live at the Kulture Klatsch" Reviews

Hello Again (from Mixposure - Review of the song Artificial Reprise)

"Love what you are doing here, its fidgety, tense and dramatically melodic at points. The sound is very precise as well, never meandering into a bad place. Good stuff, drt"

"Keep up the good work!" - HEADSTONE (http://www.soundclick.com/headstone)

"Altitude is an amazing recording. Love the build of the performance. Really sweet stuff! Guitar parts are spicey, jazzy and I love it all." - Ed Drury (http://www.soundclick.com/eddrury)

Great One! (from Mixposure - Review of the song Space Train)

"Percussion is great. Very impressive song!" - Oxygenic

Another Great Track (from Mixposure - Review of the song Space Train

"Once again, you amaze and astound with your looping prowess. The percussion adds just he right ambience to your sonic explorations...What a cool atmospheric piece of music." - Valkir

Crystal Clear (from Mixposure - Review of the song Space Train

"Wow! i love the sound of that guitar!" - Fiddlerblue

Sweet Man! (from Mixposure - Review of the song Space Train

I'm LOVING this tune... another HIGH-END talent joins in th' MIX! & it's not just the splendid guitar, but also the percussion that will hold the listener spellbound. A most calming effect on the psyche, & instant recognition by the ear (of true talent). I give this one a MOST HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, as well as a Zzaj "PICK"! - Zzaj Productions

;o) (from Mixposure - Review of the song Space Train

"There's some tension in the almost droning acoustic guitar. The tension is amplified by those jungle drums. I can't really see a space train to this. More like a jungle. A group of 18th century discoverers are sailing through a river in the jungle for the first time. The mood onboard is relaxed, and one of the crewman is playing guitar. But there's more, various unplacable drum sounds are coming from the dence forest. A scene like that. A shriek from an unkown beast. And again. Thats a flute isn't it ? Cool sound. Another shriek and another shriek, maybe the crew gets a little scary now, what kind of bird is this ? hehe.5:14 more scary effects maybe it's becoming night. Those sounds remind me of night anyway." - Treeman

Nice (from Mixposure - Review of the song Swim

"Wierd, melodic and rythmnic as it is it captured my attention right away. That high bleep isn't disturbing but it's a wierd element to combine with that relaxing acoustic guitar jingle's that are heard in the back. Maybe turn down the volume of that sound a bit. The drumming is mystic, and seems to fade in and out at random times, adding little crescendo's. I think this track slowly intesifies as it progresses and I'm glad the acoustic guitar part is louder now. Very relaxing, chilling out. This track writes a story in my mind about me relaxing in the sun, smoking a pure joint ( no tabacco, that sucks !), near the sea. When the THC starts to take it's effect, there's a car who is driving back and I'm hearing this '' reverse alarm '' bigger cars usually have. Trippy & warm ( sand ). I'm listening it again. And again." - Treeman

Hypnotic (from Mixposure - Review of the song Swim

"That repeating high acoustic chord is like a clock ticking, hypnotic and pulsing, the percussion as always is just awesome. I love the patterns you play over this...melodic and a nice structure. Don't know why you called this swim but no matter, it is a pleasing piece." - Valkir