Re: Why I'm starting to loath news paper music critics

Frankly, reading the review I'm not sure what your
issue is.  You can tell the reviewer doesn't like this
style of music, but he goes on to describe it from
that point of view without negative slant.  Welcome to
the world of life improvised free-form music.  Most
people who don't make it don't like it.

I do like it... however I do it too.

I'm listening to your Hume's Fork stuff right now and
I'm totally digging it.  However, the person reviewing
it is doing their job by basically saying what it is
from his/her perspective.  That's all a reviewer can
do.  Now if you got reviewed by The Wire magazine, I'm
sure you'd get a totally different review.  It's all
about context.

This is exactly why I'm veering away from total improv
music for a while.  I love it, but does the audience?
Oh, I'm still going to do it, but it's not going to
leave my studio... unless it does by becoming parts of
compositions.  Sure many of the LD guys love
exploitative jazz, but are you my audience?  I know
this is going to sound harsh, but a lot of what I hear
getting posted on LD falls under what I call "wanking"
which I guess is a term for "when one does it to
themselves."  It's not ever going to get the popular
acclaim of a Britney Spears.  Just not going to
happen.

I'm not telling you to change but if you're looking to
be universally loved by the music industry (of which
the reviewer is a part of), you'd better get some
catchy hooks and danceable beats.  People just really
want to be able to hear the same song again and again.
 That's just the way it is.

good luck,

Mark

http://www.mojam.com/concerts/search?key=performer&value=Krispen%20Hartu