RE: jamman | bob sellon software

I have been using the upgrade from Sellon (vers 4.0 I believe) for a
couple
of years now.  At first it was very confusing...much different than the
standard JamMan setup.  Infact after having the upgrade installed for a
couple of months, I took it out and went back to the standard setup for
some
time before I got up the courage to abandon the familiar system.

And, boy am I glad I did!
It changes the whole nature of the machine, really.  To begin with it
gives
you the option of running multiple parallel loops, each with their own
mute,
replace, layer, erase fucntions as well as their placement in a stereo
field.

The "midi fade" feature accessible only via midi, and then only in 3
flavors, in the original setup, is a standard featuire of the upgrade;
available on each "track" or as global feature.  This fade can be stopped
at
any point where the loop being played is held at the faded volume, but the
info added to the loop (or played on top of it) is not; where the loop vol
and the overdub vol are both changed by the fade amount; and the "fade
out"
can be inverted to a "fade back" or  "fade in".

You can at any point toggle from loop mode to delay mode (with enhanced
feedback levels) to morph and elvolve loops (and this can be done on any
of
the parallel loops,  or globally)and you can toggle back to loop
mode...back
and forth if you like.

There are two dedicated "mute" modes: one which mutes the loop selected,
albeit letting the loop still run, and one which "resets" the loop
selected
to loop start point so that whenever you "unmute" the loop plays from the
begining.

MIDI CC info can control feedback levels in real time, invert loops,
change
"tracks" or modes....
but, you can access all the neccessary stuff via two 3 bitton footswitches
like digitech fs300's.  This is what I use so I have no MIDI-worries (or
woes) in my setup.  I have had no problems and expeerience no latency in
this operaton.

Of course, Bob Sellon has not de-bugged the chips, and so they can be
buggy.
On mine the reverse function for a while would invert the loop and play it
one time, and then shut down the whole machine (requiring a re-boot).
Lately tho, for some odd reason, it plays thru inverted fine.

There is also an added click track to the new system (this is generated
but
not recorded, and is defeatable) as well as a pre-delay which can be added
to audio before the looping process.

Of course, learning the new system takes a little work.  I printed the
controls for the front panel dials off Selln's online manual for the
upgrade
and applied them to the front panel of my JamMan, and labeled my
footswitches with function command #s.  There is another eprom upgrade
which
allows for front panel info (midi #s, panning, feedback levels etc) to be
saved in memory of the JamMan as pages.  I never had that put in.

Likewise, I still have not even tried the Mellotron or sampler functions
of
the upgrade...they just don't figurte into my work with loops.

All in all, the upgrade is very worthy (I did a demo of this at Loopstock
couple years back...) and it really changes the personality and
possibilities of the machine.  The JamMan, which in its original Lexicon
form was quite limited, becomes much more interactive and becomes a  more
responsive tool for making loop-based music, as opposed to be a "playback
and jam" type box in which they only dynamic is to make the loops more and
more dense until it all stops...

I have had  great success using my upgraded JamMan.  It is still my
primary
loopig device.

Max