Re: Mathematics, Prime Numbers, & Looping with the EDP

I actually have a piece that I'd conceived of prior to getting my EDP
6 years ago that does exactly that. It's called "Gradus." I start off
with a single-measure loop and then build a mensural rosalia with
successive passes of multiply with duration ratios of 2:1, 3:1, 5:1,
7:1, 11:1, and 13:1. After building the massive rosalia, I turn down
the feedback and improvise over G lydian for the 2nd 'movement' which
eventually fades out.

I did come up with two separate scores for the piece. One is an
'artistic' score in the vein of George Crumb's beautiful scores where
the staff spirals out from the center. I also have a performance score
which implements the beginnings of a notational system for the EDP
footpedal. (The notation system could easily be adapted to any
footpedal configuration.)

It's funny, though, I conceived of the piece back in 1993, before I'd
ever heard of looping, but never quite figured out what to do with it
until I got the EDP 5 years later. I wrote the piece in my first
session with my brand new EDP.

I've got a recording of a performance from the 2003 Iowa Composers
Forum Festival that I can post sometime this week. It'll give me an
excuse to finally clean up that recording (the original recording was
made on an ADAT set to 48k and was not resampled when transferred to
CD, so the piece is slower and in the wrong key).

Cheers,

Jon Southwood