RE: Mathematics, Prime Numbers, & Looping with the EDP

No kidding? I should have known someone would have done something
similar.  Bravo!   I'd love to hear the recording.

G Lydian....nice. I've always liked that mode. It is the compliment to
one of my favorite chords to use in jazz and abstract music, the Maj7b5
(or Maj7#4), which incidentally in most versions of jazz theory is the
fourth mode chord (by function) in the scale of chords, using the major
scales as the foundation.

I - C Maj7
ii - D Min7
iii - E Min7b9
IV - Fmaj#4
V - G7

....and so on. Most people play a Fmaj7 as the IV chord, but technically
it should have the #4/b5, otherwise you have a minor second interval
conflict between the mode and chord.

Now what I really find intriguing is jazz melodic minor theory. Just
take the conventional system above, but use them melodic minor (not the
classical version, that descends differently), as the first mode, and so
on. Very odd and counter-intuitive at first. My friend, Mark Levine, who
wrote the Jazz Theory Book and Jazz Piano Book has a whole section on
melodic minor harmony, which I think is brilliant.

Incidentally, if you don't feel comfortable playing the maj7#4 chord,
you can use it anytime you need to play a Dominant 13th, just play the
maj7#4 a whole step below where you would ordinarily play the Dominant
13th.  For instance, an Fmaj7#4 can be played as a rootless substitute
of the G13. Fmaj7#4 contains the b7, 3, 6, and 9 intervals of G13 (the
6th interval here can be regarded as a substitute of the 13th).  You
don' need the root if you have a bass player tagging it for you. And the
9 makes it complete, otherwise without it, it would be a G7/13.

Guitarists see #3 here:
http://www.myweb.cableone.net/chagstrom2/music/chords/ for how I play
the chord. It's not at all difficult to finger and feels very natural.

Speaking of Zappa, he liked to play the Lydian mode a lot. You can hear
it on many of his recordings where he is playing guitar.

Kris