From: Douglas Baldwin [mailto:coyotelk@optonline.net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 9:16 AM
To: Hartung, Kris; Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: Mathematics, Prime Numbers, & Looping with the EDP

Kris wrote:

How about creating a looped piece by using the multiply function on the EDP and the series of prime numbers (only numbers that are divisible by themselves or 1).  For instance, you hit Record and lay down a 1 measure groove, then hit Multiply and record a 2 measure harmony over that groove from the beginning of the measure….hit Multiply to play the sequence, then hit Multiply again and record a 3 measure texture part, again from the beginning of the first measure, and repeat this process with 5, 7, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, etc measures adding various textures, melodies, etc. After a while you might have to write the song out on paper to keep track of the loops.

I've been doing something like this for a while, most recently with two Boss DD-20 pedals. Because the DD-20 "only" goes up to 23 seconds of delay, I've based my work on beats, not measures. But two DD-20s will get me ten different numbers. By using their stereo outputs and inputs and feeding the output of one into the input of the other, I can build up longer and longer patterns without losing earlier ones. I also use a Boss GT-3 which, with its multiple user settings, is used for identical patches with different delay times. The GT-3 handles the one-, two-, and three-beat rhythms, and the DD20s handle the bigger numbers. One suggestion for others on this journey: Leave space. The conjunction of emptiness is as exciting (to these ears) as the conjunction of melodies/sound.

Douglas Baldwin, coyote-at-large
coyotelk@optonline.net

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where pimps and thieves run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
--- Hunter S. Thompson