Re: Mathematics, Prime Numbers, & Looping with the EDP

Indeed, the same is true for me. As a child, I was always intrigued
(hip-mo-tized, more like) by columns of turn signals that flashed
asynchronously; or wiper blades of multiple cars sweeping at different
speeds and different intervals, etc. It was out of that fascination I
conceived "Gradus," but with the 'quantization' of the asynchronous
loops to a coordinating grid for purposes of performability.

I tend to enjoy playing with multiple planes of time simultaneously
and certainly enjoying hearing others do so. Messiaen and Carter are
definite influences on me in this regard (though I've never approached
the complexity of Carter's use of time).

Incidentally, I just remembered that early experiments with prime
numbers and voices moving at different speeds were done using Tim
Thompson's KeyKit, particularly the kboom tool. Actually multiple
kboom tools, sometimes sync'd to a common grid, sometimes free. Tim
was particularly helpful in e-mail exchanges while I was building
these contraptions.

Cheers,

Jon Southwood