Re: triggering loops with a drum machine (was Re: Crediting Bernhard Wagner)

On Jun 22, 2005, at 0:52, L. Angulo wrote:

> Hey Rick!
> Isnt this what we had asked Claude Voit when we played
> at the loop fest in Switzerland 2 yrs ago? I believe
> he said he used this same technique in his CD
> recording,which he explained to us briefly but not in
> detail and i am still standing in a foggy day with
> this so can you experienced loopers share this
> technique once more? iŽd love to do it with my MPC1000
> sampler!
> cheers
> Luis

Rick told me too about "Andre controlling the EDP with a drum
machine" when we played together here in Sweden in 2003. But I always
took that for simply stepping on the drum machines buttons to send
out midi notes that trig different actions in the EDP. I've tried
that myself many times before getting the much better controller
Behringer FCB1010. You can not set every function to a unique note
number in the EDP, but there is an off-set to match the full midi
note scale of any drum machine (or other midi note sending source)
used to match the EDP functions you want to access.

Maybe I did not understand Rick correctly, but that's how it fell
into my brain back then ;-)  If you can manage to match some midi
notes from a drum machine, used as action triggers for the EDP, with
an audio output of a good beat from the drum machine, this will
provide a quite compact and yet powerful performance set-up. Given
you have a mixer to blend the drum machine's and the EDP's audio
output (or rely on the sound man to mix it on the house system).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)
www.boysen.se (Swedish)