Scales [was RE: Mathematics, Prime Numbers, & Looping with the EDP]

I once made this excel sheet for someone, where you can pick a scale and a
root key and it calculates all pitches for you.
http://nosuch.biz/scales/scales.xls
The sheet is protected and only the things displayed in a red font are the
ones you can change.
The sheet also calculates MIDI-Numbers for Note On.

Note that the scale names probably are a bit idiosyncratic. If you know
better names for them, let me know.

Just now, Krispen's mail about " evil twin of the dom7 " came in!
There you got the real names for those scales!

Thanks a lot Krispen, really juicy stuff you posted there!

The Jazz melodic minor (and shifted siblings) is one of my dearest. I guess
I've been using it too much for practicing, so I can't get it out of my
head
anymore.
E.g. this example is entirely in the
Db mixolydian b6 mode (if that's what you'd call it):
http://loopersdelight.com/LDarchive/200409/msg00160.html

What totally fascinates me about this particular one is that it sounds like
a minor scale even though you have the major 3rd right in there. Only by
flattening the 6th it gets that minor twist. Love it.

Bernhard
http://nosuch.biz