Re: How to get the file size down

> From: "Hartung, Kris" <kris.hartung@hp.com>
> To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
> Subject: RE: Everyday digest / Loop Videos / How to
> get file size down!
>
> I was given the master on Super VHS,

Not the best quality, you already lost one generation.

>which I paid to have converted to DVD. I ripped the
DVD to the best >quality mpeg (DVD editing quality),

MPEG is already a compressed format, so you're
compressing it again
and most likely it's going down hill from there.
Plus, MPEG is one track, audio and video mixed
together.
You want to be able to compress video and audio
separately.
It'll eventually be one file, but don't start with an
MPEG.
I'm not familiar with this "DVD editing quality" that
you mention.

>then converted that to a series of >Windows Media
(wmv) videos. The >quality of these wmv videos is
>acceptable...no overt choppiness in >the sound.
movement is relatively >smooth, etc, but the files are
still >large.

What did you use to convert to WMV?

>A 10 min. 25 second video of >mine is 15MB and the
size is 208 x >160.
> However, is there a media format that will get the
file size down even
> further without loosing quality?
> I've tried Real Audio...no luck.

The worst!

>I hear Sorensen Squeeze 4 can do this but I'm too
cheap to buy it.

Yeah, expensive...but that's the way to go. Get your
movie uncompressed onto a DVD as data not MPEG. So
it's not compressed to begin with. The video should
contain
two tracks, one video and one audio (stereo, mono
whatever)
I'm familiar with using Quicktime. So you would
recieve a high quality QT movie on DVD, import into
Sorenson, choose a frame size,
320x240, 240x180, etc. and finally experiment with
data rates.
Sorenson has something called "Variable Bit Rate" It
does two passes
on your movie, first is analyzing and second is
compressing.
You could also consider a final MPEG so all platforms
could play it.
Main thing is to start out with a highest quality, a
master, and compress from there.
Time consuming, but it works.

HTH,
Fred