From: Tim Nelson [mailto:psychle62@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 1:35 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Closing the Loop: orchestral instruments>>mellotron>>orchestral
instruments SIMULATING mellotron

We've discussed in many, many threads in the past the
way the appearance of new technology often seems a
threat to players of existing instruments. (Synths,
samplers, mellotrons, etc.)

Here's something I've been enjoying lately: I've been
using a hybrid recording setup that includes both
digital formats (hard drive, flash and minidisc) AND
my old analog eight track. I find that when layering
loops of things like flute, cello and voice on analog
tape, I'm really enjoying the way the analog signal
loss/degradation/noise starts to make the "real deal"
instruments sound very mellotronish, especially when
juxtaposed with the crisper sound of the
direct-to-digital instruments.

I know Rick Walker has mentioned building an acoustic
drumkit which simulates the timbres of electronica. Is
anyone else out there being intentionally
anachronistic with their equipment, either using new
tech to simulate the sound of old stuff or getting
modern tones out of vintage gear?

-t-

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com