Re: triggering loops with a drum machine Crediting

andy butler wrote:
"Andre LaFosse at one time had a drum machine which he configured as a MIDI
controller for his EDP, and I remember reading that at one gig he set up a
number of loops, and then ran a "drum program" to rapidly change between
loops. I always thought that the drum machine was not used for it's sounds
in this case"

When I first saw him do this he did indeed use an old roland drum machine
(not using the sounds) and he actually
triggered the loops from what I could tell visually, from the individual
drum sound pads (sending out a midi note number, I assume).
I didn't own an EDP at that time so I can't be sure of what he actually
did
and you are correct that this was not
the SUB technique that started this thread out..........I got them
confused............Andre, of course, is the only one who knows what
he was doing at the show in Santa Cruz.

Andy also wrote:
"The technique that Bernhard Wagner (and a number of others) uses to create
a fast "sequence" of evenly spaced notes was invented by me during the Beta
testing of the Loop4 software for the EDP.
The first ever available recording which features his technique is:-
www.andybutler.com/mp3/backwater.mp3"

And I just got finished listening to that track which is really, really
beautiful.........Thanks Andy and thanks for innovating this
technique....................I love it to death, especially when I create
really rubato or really avante garde initial loops.
The audience is sure that I"m going south with my piece and all of a
sudden
it's funkier that sh*t.

Last night I played a party and used enormous malleted gongs and bowed
crotales that eventually used this technique, to which I added some
faux-industrial beatbox,  a sub bass line on one of those juicy silicon
string miniature Ashbory basses and finished up
with some effected falsetto vocals and some effected melodica.   So cool
start abstract and a-melodic and end of with a very conventionally styled
piece.

I especially love doing this with hi falsetto vocals so that the whole
thing
start sounding like music that was created by Ituri Pygmy vocalists if
they
were into techno.   I hear what you say about Andre currently eschewing
the
rigidly quantised loops in favor of his own sense of rhythmic accuracy but
I, personally, love how mechanical and robotically correct this technique
is
when rounded to the nearest 8th or 16th note.

Thanks for this, Andy.  We're all in your debt for it.