RE: Closing the Loop: orchestral instruments>>mellotron>>orchestral instruments SIMULATING mellotron

Title: RE: Closing the Loop: orchestral instruments>>mellotron>>orchestral instruments SIMULATING mellotron

>>I'm really enjoying the way the analog signal
loss/degradation/noise starts to make the "real deal"
instruments sound very mellotronish, especially when
juxtaposed with the crisper sound of the
direct-to-digital instruments.[snip]Is
anyone else out there being intentionally
anachronistic with their equipment, either using new
tech to simulate the sound of old stuff or getting
modern tones out of vintage gear?<<

simulating mellotron, did you say? :-)

I have a real 400, which we've stopped gigging for a number of practical reasons. but what I started doing even before we got the thing in 1991 was "shogging" my samples by laying them off to 1/4" tape, sometimes at deliberately-altered fidelity (i.e. slow tape, distorted, wowing...) before resampling them. this gave all my samples a slightly more organic feel, a bit more like the 'tron.

what I do now is augment this with a lot of complex but subtle modulation routing;
my weapon of choice for sample playback is the emu proteus module, though I prepare the samples in one of their big samplers & then burn them onto 32Mb flash sticks. the samples include but are not limited to instruments from my mellotron tape collection (nine frames of three instruments each). I add small amounts of two different random lfo's to the pitch, amplitude & filter, & use velocity to control the sample start-point, simulating an incomplete rewind in the real 'tron. I also route a tiny amount of aftertouch to the pitch, so the instrument goes a bit flat if you press harder.....

the proteus allows custom tuning scales to be built, so I can interfere with the intonation/temperament of the instruments aswell.

using a "vanilla" patch with these routings set up, & the envelopes set to a hard gate, inserting pretty much any sample produces the equivalent of a "mellotron" version of that sound.

this is not to demean the playback fidelity of a properly aligned mellotron, but these effects are apparent to some degree in any mechanical replay device.

in fact, using the same techniques on regular synth waveforms goes a long way to improving the rompler's attempt at analogue synth sounds, especially if you sample the waveforms from a real synth instead of building it from waveforms that come with the rompler. I especially like the effect of offsetting the scaling of one "oscillator" (in fact, one layer of the rompler patch) to imitate the difference in tuning of two oscillators in a typical moog (or w.h.y.) as one works up & down the keyboard. again, messing with the sample start-point is beneficial here....

I could write about this all day....

duncan/radio massacre international.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.

It is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other
checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not
affect your systems / data. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MTV Networks Europe unless specifically stated,
nor does this message form any part of any contract unless so stated.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe