re: AW: zen and the fluent Music

Rainer wrote to my first post:

> I don't see the Heisenberg influence here at all. It
> seems like taking
> Einstein's laws to explain why cars do not drive
> faster than 55 or 65
> mph on American highways...

Please excuse, Rainer.................I included about five connected
ideas
in that previous one sentence that are firmly connected in my brain and
upon
rereading what I wrote realize that the connection in my mind wasn't
communicated at all.   I was tired when I wrote it, please forgive me.

What I meant to say is that given the fact that we can not see things
below
a certain size with an electron micropscope (what is it now?  thirty years
ago it was a quarter of a wave length of a certain frequency of light) and
due to the fact that human beings can only hazard a guess where an
electron
'is' at any given instant just means that it is tough for us to talk with
great certainty about 'reality'.  Add to the fact the the photons have to
travel to our retina; be converted into electrical signals, ad nauseum
just
throws more of a wrench into things.

But my understanding of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is limited to
one lecture where a lay person explained it's relevance to cognitive theory
during about a ten minute interval almost thirty years ago.   I shouldn't
have even mentioned it because I'm not qualified to.

I was just trying to get across my own personal understanding that we, as
human beings are doomed to create patterns out of our experience but
knowing
that limitation;  having humility about it and having the creative
experience enobles us to make better and better maps.

Hell, I'm a drummer originally, so I love to use patterns.  I find that
juxtaposing formulaic patterns is a very useful way to make things that
sound good to my ears.   At the same time,  I love chaos and randomness
and
'the new'.     I think there is room for all in the musical world.    When
play funk, however,  I really like to play with a bass player who really
knows how to play within the somewhat rigid stylistic confines of that
genre.
There are 2 to the 16 power possible single line rhythms possible in any
given measure of 4/4 using 16th notes as the smallest note
value............there's a ton of room for creativity even in, say, the
world of 1970's era East Coast Funk,  but it's really fucking funky when
someone knows how to play the game.     But that's just me.  Scott Kungha
Drengsen or maybe even Steve Lawson (who loves soul music) might disagree
with me and they'd be legit.