RE: zen and the fluent music

Luis, you hit the nail on the head about being booked at the right
places.  I don't know what it's like in bigger cities or other
countries, but here where I live finding a venue where I can play
remotely experimental music is a delicate matter. For instance, I played
in a world fusion band for a few years, where I played acoustic guitar
and sitar, and we played at this Mediterranean restaurant frequently. We
played a mixture of Indian, Middle-Eastern, African, or just "worldly"
fusion like tunes. They loved us and the place was always jam
packed...we even played outside, and we attracted people from 6 bocks
away. People just went bizarre over that music. When the group split up,
I decided to go back and play at the venue as a solo looper.  I made the
mistake of trying some more experimental type looping music that didn't
have the recognizable melodies in Western, Middle-Eastern, or Eastern
music.  They never asked me back.  Yet four blocks away, I was playing
highly experimental looping music on a regular basis at a very
liberal-minded, vegetarian restaurant, where whatever I played, I was
always accepted with great admiration and compliments.   I find that
most venues here, and the people that frequent them, just aren't that
open to really experimental music, and this doesn't surprise or
disappointed me necessarily (I accept it whole heartedly as a part of
the bell curve of listenability in a city with only 200K people and in a
very conservative state); rather it's just an added challenge for me to
find venues to play the music I want to play.

In my new promo pack and bio, I state that I frequently play venues that
are associated with the arts (like exhibits, galleries, art festivals)
or venues that foster diverse human discourse (like coffee shops, etc).
Those are the sort of venues that I find are more open to experimental
looping music lately. And even the coffee shops here are pushing it, as
they are frequented by a generally conservative crowd.  I play at an
Italian restaurant a once a month, and occasionally I can slip in
something experimental, but I have to do so with some restraint and
caution.  I've just learned how to read venue owners and crowds when it
comes to this more extreme form of music.  I try a little bit, observe
the reaction, and then go one way or another, depending on the reaction.
Sometimes I might get a comments like "Well that was interesting" but
implicitly saying, "Now go back to playing that other nice stuff you
were playing before."  But I don't expect to waltz into a traditional
restaurant and start looping atonal, non-rhythmic music with a ring
modulator and pitch shifter set at a minor second interval! Even though
this is the style of music I prefer to play most often.

The above is also why when I play a brand new venue, I always bring my
jazz Real books with me...then at least if I get into trouble or I'm
getting strange glares, I can play the standards, like Autumn Leaves,
Take the A Train, Days of Wine and Roses, etc.  I've never found anyone
who objected to me playing traditional jazz.  Or I find that noodling
around with open G, C, A, E, and D chords, with some "pretty" and
predictable improvised melodies is always a crowd pleaser
too...basically anything I can play in my sleep. :)

I would be curious to here from others, who live in bigger cities of at
least 500,000.  How many public venues do you know of where you can play
really experimental music and be called back to play on a regular basis?
And I don't mean "experimental" in the sense of just improvising with
looping technology, playing in odd time signatures, or using
non-traditional instrument, but music that really pushes the limits of
popular listenability. Any Bay Area or New Yorkers want to comment?
Heck, I saw the circuit benders at Y2K4 last year...where are you guys
playing on a regular basis?   And Matt Davignon's music is pretty far
out...he must be finding some recurring venues.

Kris