RE: means to an end (was "the diatonic-chromatic-noise paradigm")

Kevin - I  did qualify "from an emotional respective" and "borderline",
did I not?  I didn't say I or anyone should actually hold listeners
accountable to understand the process by which I or they create music
down to the gnat's ass.  Let's put the ball back in your court. Is it
arrogant to "feel" a certain way about how people interpret your music,
yet not actually hold them accountable or demand of them that they take
any action?  I think emotion is on our side here. You can't demand how a
person should feel.  Also, I don't think everyone on the list would
desire listeners to know every single detail of how they recorded or
performed a piece, such as the very particular example you use regarding
type of film,  processors in parallel, etc.  Speaking for myself, I'm
just fine with people understanding two things: that my music is
improvised, and that I'm using looping technology to create multiple
layers of live guitar parts. That's it.  That's all I need to get my
point across and differentiate my music from other forms of
non-improvised music.  I never articulated any really technical or
specific requirements on this form of understanding.  And I also
specifically stated that I believe both approaches to listening to music
are valid. Hence, I'm not really advocating any categorical claims that
require anyone to do anything.

To use your phrasing below, yes, I think it is perfectly acceptable for
someone to enjoy the image and take pleasure it without investing time
and energy in learning about the process.  Why wouldn't this be
acceptable?  Are we laying down laws here?  I also think it is
acceptable for someone to want to understand the whole process behing
the music. I think its acceptable for people to feel anything they want
to feel about a piece of music, an artist, or what other people feel
about their music. It's all acceptable, man....remember, it's not
physics and mathematics. There are no objective rules here, IMO, just
the empirical fact of the music and how people feel about it.  We're
just talking about what we would like here and how certain listener
unless we're living in a fascist world.

Kris